Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Direction

Crunch of the snow as I walk on them
Muffled by the howling wind.
Air wet and frigid; I bend my head down
Protecting my naked face from the biting cold
As if in respect to the harsh weather.

Rhythmic marching; one step at a time
Not a creature in sight; an unwelcome eerie.
This night seems to be long.
Awaiting in anticipation; a flicker of light,
The warmth and the coziness of bed.

I wish someone was walking with me.
My hurried steps wander; homebound.
The blurry slush, squelching as I drag my feet.
I’ve defined my path, so no turning back.
I’ll defend it; until I hit the high wall.

Crossing a bridge; rickety and narrow.
The black of the water shimmer
The moon’s imperfect reflection; dances.
Teasing me of my situation. Ah! An irony.
Wait in the wings I will; quiet and patient.

Squeezing the compass in my hand, I continue.
I turn a bend and find myself at crossroad.
Two narrow path fork; which one now?
Halting in my footsteps, I gaze as far as I could
Do I see any signs of light? Far away?

Those thoughts reach me again.
My fingers caressing your face.
The scar on your nose; you were conscious about.
I really liked them. Have I told you that?
Sure, its not relevant now; is it?

I cast my eyes again on the forks.
I need to pick a path and continue.
Its gotten late. I feel so lonely.
Guess I should keep walking.
And I wish you were walking with me. 

6 comments:

  1. Whoa...! Mesmerizing and left me at the crossroads just imagining this plight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense... and yeah I felt like I was with you on that lonely path and at the crossroads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RGB,

      Thanks much. Ha a company makes so much difference isnt it?

      Delete
  3. I loved the path about squeezing the compass in hand. The vivid imagery of a traveller and the path crossed is beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajlakshmi. Glad you liked the poem. Having a compass and yet being confused was an analogy to how we often think we've figured out everything and yet we get stumped when faced with certain situations

      Delete

I'd love to know what you thought :-) Please shoot!