Monday, January 19, 2009

Never Give Up!

My schedule went haywire for the last 10 days. I had to finish off a critical work in very short period of time. I was still learning about it; had very less time to actually learn as I faced all sorts of queer infrastructure issues; and then the day to start it off came by and I was left with just 3 days to finish that off and lot of stake involved; for me and the team.
It was not that the work in my hand was not done earlier; it was just that I was doing it for the first time. All I had was a single page document giving in few details which I assumed was all that's needed. How I was wrong.
I got some idea after talking to a peer who had worked on it already. I was happy that there was someone to whom I could ask my queries however silly that would be. But there were few hidden infrastructure issues unknown to us and it seemed a rather silly analysis of the issues; yet it were true.
Well, we all assume; draw a line and assume these are how things must be; these are how things are and don't go beyond to check the authenticity of our belief. So when these issues stare at us like the cat Tom staring at the tiny mouse Jerry...we are aghast. These "how can that be possible" issues did cause a few hard moments.
But I knew that these too shall pass away and at the end of it; whatever it may be; this task has to be completed. I for one; being an impatient lady; also brought about barriers in the progress.
But I well knew I had to complete it well within the time at any cost. The only thing that was coming to my mind was one picture that I recall having seen on the Internet depicting the "Never say die" spirit. (I remember having received a mail as a forward. I took a copy of the picture and pasted it in my cube in my previous organization. When I quit the organization; I never wanted to leave the picture behind; and thus carried it with me. Even though there are many pictures similar on the net...here's my copy..)

I did learn a few things out of this episode.
  • Never assume things. Be open-minded to learn new things. Don't have a laid-back attitude that this is just similar to other.
  • Expect the unexpected. Its easy to shrug away and say "Such things can never happen". Dig through and you would be shocked to learn how ignorant you have been.
  • Don't look for shortcuts. It seems easier; but there's much more hidden underneath. Don't miss out on tinier details as they are the ones most important.
It would be very inappropriate for me to sign off this blog without thanking PR for all his help. He came in to work even with his illness to help me out with whatever ways possible for him; patiently correcting my silly mistakes made due to my impatience; answering all my queries.

IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT YOU PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you thought :-) Please shoot!